Wednesday, September 5, 2012

First Post!

Hello there everybody!

Well, this is my first post on my mission blog! I am actually pretty pumped out this blog and the chance for people to read my week emails and cool experiences that will make my best two years in Brazil. I have ONE WEEK until I will be IN BRAZIL and learning the Gospel in the SAO PAULO MTC!!! And in Portuguese! I am very excited for this new adventure in life, and I am so pumped to make the best of mission for me as possible.

The stress levels in my house have definitely increased over the past week or so. We are in the process of replacing a new carpet, planning a farewell, and finalizing on all purchases for my mission stuff. Boy, I know I am stressed! I am also beginning to write my farewell talk, which, according to my Dad, at least 50 relatives will be attending... no pressure though, right?

The true reason that I wanted to write a post on here at this time was because I way impressed to share an experience that happened to me last night. Last night was my final night using my cell phone and Facebook, as most already know from my mass text. My bishop had asked me to quit using them one week before my mission to more fully prepare and focus for what is in the short future. So, about 12:30 AM last night, I switched off my phone. Leading up to it, I had some mixed feelings about doing this task. Some were good and some were bad. I was thinking, "What is the point of this? I'm can easily give up my phone the night before. Why do I have to now?" Most of my feelings were that of annoyance and maybe a little nervousness because of the fact that I would be cut off from so many friends. My bishop said it would be hard, but I never thought it would be. But, I obeyed his request. Once I turned it off, I had a peace come over me. A warm, gentle peace. I went to bed that night slightly dazed at why I was feeling this way, but I liked it! I fell asleep pretty quick and awoke the next morning and have gone the whole day without my phone. You wouldn't think that such a weird task would impact someone really. But, I can truly say that it made me a little stronger.

I am grateful for the task my bishop asked me to do. It was hard, but I know that it's nothing compared to the difficulties I will face on my mission. However, I do know that I will be able to complete my mission, with it's hardships and happiness. You don't come by your best two years just by having peace and blissful times. Your hard times help you see how great the happy times are, and as I grow closer to my Heavenly Father and the Spirit, I know the me and my future companions really will have the best two years of our lives. The church is true!

Well, I better get to writing that talk. Here we go!

No comments:

Post a Comment